Cinema chain Vue has admitted health and safety failures after a young dad died when a reclining seat came down on his neck.
Ateeq Rafiq, 24, died after suffering “catastrophic” injuries in the freak accident at Star City, Birmingham in 2018.
He had tried to recover his phone and keys from behind a seat at the end of a film but got trapped.
A previous inquest heard that, as Mr Rafiq went under the seat, the footrest came down – causing fatal injuries.
Vue Entertainment Ltd has now admitted two charges under the Health and Safety at Work Act at Birmingham Crown Court.
The company pleaded guilty to failing to ensure that persons were not exposed to risk to their health and safety.
It also admitted failing to make a suitable and safe risk assessment between January 1 2007 and March 9 2018 in relation to the use of powered cinema seating.
Sentencing was adjourned until July 20.
Mr Rafiq had gone with his wife to the cinema and bought tickets from a machine for seats in Gold Class, screen 17.
The couple, from Aston, picked C5 and C6, with Mr Rafiq sitting in the former.
He realised he could not find either his keys or his phone at the end of the film and suspected they may have slipped down the side of the seat, which was a reclining seat and had a footrest which pulled up.
Mr Rafiq got up and went under the seat but very quickly the footrest started to come down on him.
An inquest previously heard that his wife, Ayesha Sardar, tried to hold the footrest up when she realised what was happening.
Mrs Sardar alerted staff who tried for about 10 to 15 minutes before releasing Mr Rafiq.
They could not get the buttons which operated the footrest to work, it was said.
Paramedics arrived at 7.55pm and Mr Rafiq was taken to Heartlands Hospital where he died on March 16 after suffering a hypoxic brain injury.
A week-long inquest was told the seat was missing a bar that would have allowed him to be released by hand.
Recording a verdict of accidental death, Birmingham Coroner Emma Brown said there had been “missed opportunities to undertake comprehensive safety checks of the chairs”.
She said: “If the seat had been fitted and maintained in the correct manner, Mr Rafiq would not have died.”
Following the inquest, a Vue spokesperson said: “We are shocked and saddened by this tragic accident and our sincerest thoughts and condolences go to Mr Rafiq’s family and friends.
“We have been listening carefully to all of the evidence and information and will now reflect on the findings of the inquest.”